Today is National Chocolate Day and while it seems like “National (Insert Food Item Here) Day” happens every day, chocolate is one thing we’re always ready to celebrate. For an indulgent tasting but actually full of yummy good-for-you treats, we turned to nutritionist Jennie Miremadi for a Hazelnut Hot Chocolate recipe that is the perfect way to welcome fall. Cheers!
Hazelnut Hot Chocolate
Makes two servings.
16 oz. homemade hazelnut milk (see below)
4 tbsp. raw cacao powder
2 tbsp. raw cacao nibs
2 tbsp. organic, raw hazelnuts
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. Himalayan pink salt
Vanilla stevia drops to taste
1. Heat hazelnut milk with vanilla on stove over low heat and bring to a simmer. Allow hazelnut milk to simmer for two minutes and then turn off heat.
2. Transfer heated hazelnut milk to Vitamix or other high-speed blender and add remaining ingredients, blending until all ingredients are thoroughly combined and hot chocolate is steaming when blender lid is removed, about 3 minutes.
3. Adjust stevia to taste.
4. Pour hazelnut hot chocolate into two mugs and enjoy!
Homemade Hazelnut Milk
Makes approximately 32 oz. (Aka enough for four servings of Hazelnut Hot Chocolate!)
1 cup organic, raw hazelnuts
1 tsp. vanilla
Pinch of Himalayan pink salt
1. Add hazelnuts to a bowl, cover with 2 cups purified water, place in refrigerator and soak overnight.
2. Drain water from hazelnuts and rinse with additional purified water.
3. Add soaked and rinsed hazelnuts, 4 cups purified water, vanilla and salt to Vitamix or other high speed blender, and blend until creamy and smooth.
4. Strain hazelnut milk through a nut milk bag or cheesecloth-lined strainer.
5. Refrigerate hazelnut milk and enjoy!