With COVID-19 (also known as the Coronavirus) expanding globally, it has hit certain countries the hardest. Certainly, China, the most affected country has had to go through drastic measures to ensure that it doesn’t spread exponentially. However, the world’s second most affected country may come as a surprise – Italy. Over the past few weeks, all of Northern Italy has been on a government-imposed lock-down affecting the overall economy and leaving small businesses to suffer greatly.
Even one of the design industry’s biggest events, Salone del Mobile, held in Milan, has been postponed to June 16-21st. With the country at a stand-still, all sectors of the Italian economy are taking a huge hit. It’s important to support design brands globally, but today, we’d like to focus on products that are designed and made in Italy. It might be impossible to take a trip there over the next few months, but who said that we can’t bring a little of this Southern Mediterranean country home with us.
Shop the story:
- Multicultivar Extra Virgin Olive Oil, $42, Frantoio Guglielmo di Malavalle: Hand-harvested in the medieval Tuscan town of Castiglione della Pescaia, this extra virgin olive oil will add plenty of flavor to your dishes.
- ZEST Cutlery Set of 24 Pieces, $153, KnIndustrie: Renowned architect Rodolfo Dordoni, who has played an essential role in many top Italian design brands, has designed this modern yet classic tabletop set for KnIndustrie.
- Rex Charcoal Bath Towel, $75, Missoni Home: The Italian fashion brand Missoni has designed a towel collection that features its iconic striations.
- Moka Espresso Coffee Maker, $55, Alessi: Make a cup of espresso as they do in many Italian homes with this stovetop maker from a quintessential brand.
- Maya Table Placemat in Verbena, $65, Society Limonta: It may seem like a simple placemat but the canvas linen fabric from which it is made has a uniquely textured feel and comes in an array of elegant tones.
- Weekend Postmoderno Eau de Perfum, $124, Soul Couture: This Italian niche fragrance brand creates surprising and addictive scents. We particularly love this one that has notes of lily-of-the-valley, cardamom, and pink pepper.
- Decorative Plate, $201, Fornasetti: Piero Fornasetti was an Italian modernist artist whose iconic engravings now grace a series of limited edition home accessories.
- Medium Bowl in Moss, $354, Rina Minardi: Rina is a Milan-based ceramicist whose work is both clean-lined and organic. Her bowls, dishes, and vases have become key pieces in well-designed spaces.
- Ipnos Floor Lamp, $845, FLOS: This floor lamp by two Italian designers is both a work of art and architecture. The embedded LED lights that are along the top of the frame create a beautiful wash of light playing with its volume.