There are two sides to every coin. On one hand, it’s fantastic that the internet has allowed us to be privy to content from around the world. But on the other hand, it can make us lust after pieces that we just can’t buy because we may be oceans away. While Rue Magazine is a San Francisco based publication, we feature spaces from around the world. However, most of our design resources are US focused. Yep, that Restoration Hardware sofa is gorgeous… but you just can’t get it to Germany. With geographical challenges in mind, we’ve assembled a list of our five favorite decorating resources in the UK, Europe, and Australia. Now, those of us in the United States will be jealous…
United Kingdom Based Sites:
1. Darkroom London. This design label is modernism at its best. With highly graphic prints and shapes, you’ll find that perfect statement piece to transform your home.
2. French Connection. Finally, a fashion label whose home line is just as good or better than its clothes! FCUK’s home collection is simple, trendy and affordable. We’re just hoping that international shipping will soon be offered!
3. Another Country. Pure country modern at its best, you’ll find pieces inspired by Japanese and Scandinavian woodwork and British country style kitchenware.
4. Cloth House London. This site is one of the most incredible fabric resources we have ever seen. Whether you are looking for a subtle ticking strip for an armchair or soft linen for pillows, Cloth House has what you need.
5. Made. With insanely great prices and high design, Made is going to be your go-to resource for helping you furnish your new place. The photography and specs are very detailed, so you can get a good idea of what you are buying before you take the plunge.
Europe Based Sites:
1. Bolia. Northern Europe’s best kept secret just started to offer shipping to all EU countries. Their sofas and casegoods will make your home an instant design success.
2. Monoqi. Europe just made the concept of the flash-sale site that much cooler. With nothing but high-designed modern pieces for sale at a range of prices, you’ll be excited to get their emails in the morning.
3. Habitat. Terence Conran (the man behind the Conran Shop) is also the brains behind one of Europe’s most loved design brands, Habitat. Its furniture is perfect for apartment style living and their kitchen collection is one of the most complete we’ve ever seen.
4. Au Fil des Couleurs. If you are looking for a cool wallpaper that will transform your boring entryway, this site has abounding options. Now your home can look like that charming Parisian boutique hotel you fell in love with.
5. Tema Home. If you are looking for furniture with similar clean lines to Ikea but with a much higher quality, check out Tema Home. Their sideboards and beds are especially beautiful for those who love a simple look.
Australia & New Zealand Based Sites:
1. Douglas & Bec. We’ve always admired the beautiful brass and glass ceiling lights from this New Zealand brand. You’ll love the rest of their pieces for being light, cheerful and above all else – stylish.
2. Abode Living. For something as common and important as bed and bath linens, it’s not always easy to find the right ones with the right quality. Abode Living has stepped in as one of Australia’s best resources for sheets, towels, and accents.
3. Marble Basics. Anyone who has been looking at design inspiration for the last couple of years knows that marble is an extremely coveted material nowadays. It can make even the simplest of items look high-end. For the marble-obsessed, this site will be a welcomed discovery.
4. Minami. This Japanese inspired tableware site has pieces that will really surprise you. With the perfect color palette of whites and soft pastels, you’ll find something that will become your most prized possession in your kitchen.
5. Barnaby Lane. What else can we say except that we want EVERY chair from this site. At truly reasonable prices for the quality of materials, Barnaby Lane is Australia’s best kept secret.