Skin is personal, very personal. Your day can be completely blown because a bad breakout threw you off your beauty game. And for those of us with a chronic acne condition know that it comes with heaps of frustration. Because of that, we’re likely to spend our $$ on expensive products, promising the world, but when it comes down to it, they don’t all make the kind of difference we’d hope for. That’s why we’ve enlisted our dermatologist friend of the mag, Dr. Zena Gabriel to share her top 5 facts about acne. Perhaps this short-list will have you putting your time and efforts in the right direction.
First things first – acne is a multi-factorial disease and mainly due to four factors: hyperkeratosis at the follicular opening (clogged pore), oil gland secretion, bacterial overgrowth in the follicle, and inflammation. Now that we know what causes it, here are Dr. Gabriel’s top 5 facts:
- Low-dose (which is very safe) Accutane is the best way to get rid of acne completely. It’s the closest thing to a “cure”.
- Nothing topical cures acne. Topical products are only partially effective and they only work as you use them.
- Mineral makeup is the best option for those who suffer from acne since it binds to oils. Conventional makeup contains ingredients and oils that can further worsen the issue.
- There is evidence to suggest that only 10% of people have diet-related acne, and this is usually milk or dairy related. Try going a week without any dairy to see an improvement, however, 90% won’t see a difference on their acne.
- If you are going to make a dietary change: sugars can cause baseline inflammation to be elevated and since acne is an inflammatory disorder a low sugar diet is recommended.