We love checking in with Danny Seo for the latest trends in green living. The environmental lifestyle expert has shared everything from tips for a healthy year to his favorite recipes with us, and each time we chat with him, we learn something new. It’s no wonder that he received a Daytime Emmy nomination for season one of Naturally, Danny Seo which airs on Saturday mornings on NBC. The second season of will premiere on Sept 30!
Today, Danny is dropping by to share smart solutions for a healthier kitchen. As we head into a new season, these tips will be key:
1. Clean Water – Water is the basis for good health so it’s important the water we drink and cook with is clean. Many water filtration systems only remove chlorine and make water taste a bit better, but there are many other contaminants in our drinking supply that we need to worry about. For the cleanest drinking water, I use the Pentair Everpure Water Filtration System in my own home because it removes pollutants, like pharmaceuticals, over-the-counter medications, and BPA.
2. Efficient Appliances – Your kitchen appliances should be energy efficient, and should work harder and smarter for you. When choosing a refrigerator, make sure your fridge/freezer ratio is sized for how you eat – there’s no need to have a larger freezer if you eat primarily fresh foods. Using a dishwasher actually uses less water than hand washing, and new dishwashers are designed to clean better when the dishes aren’t pre-rinsed. Less work, cleaner dishes. Love that!
3. Hands off – We spread a lot of germs with our hands, so when there is an opportunity to go touchless in the kitchen where we’re most apt to share those nasty little buggers while prepping and cooking, go for it. Whether it’s a bigger investment piece like a touchless kitchen faucet or a simply smart touchless foaming soap dispenser (Kohler has a great one), these hands-free designs help promote better hygiene in the kitchen.
4. Smart Surfaces – If you’re a homeowner looking to remodel your kitchen, your countertops are a good place to add visual impact, as well as a healthy one. When I redid my kitchen, I chose laminate from Wilsonart, which is made of recycled materials and is American made. Not only has laminate come a long way in the style department, with design options to fit any aesthetic, there are even ones with antimicrobial protection.
5. Superfoods – Stocking your pantry and refrigerator with whole, healthy foods that taste delicious is a great way to keep you energized and feeling your best. Cook with superfoods, like Kale, Blueberries, Chia Seeds, Cacao, Turmeric, and Coconut Oil, to eat cleaner and feel more satisfied.
6. Keep it Simply Clean – Instead of sponges and paper towels, use microfiber towels instead. Not only are they more sanitary, they’re also a lot less wasteful. Simply throw them in the washing machine to clean and reuse. And for cleaning supplies, stay away from harsh ones. Other options, like rubbing alcohol, which kills germs and bacteria, and non-toxic biodegradable all-purpose cleaning products are smarter choices. They do the job without adding unnecessary toxins to your home.